Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't access Goup Policy

I can't access Goup Policy from the run option in Windows XP (Home) for some strange reason. I'm trying to delete the recycle bin icon from my desktop but can't get to that option (I get a grey error box thats states (cannot find 'gpedit.msc' blah, blah, bla). Is there another way other than going to run and typing (gpedit.msc) and soforth to get to group policy or is there a way to fix my gpedit somehow?

try control userpasswords2

not sure if that will help though
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Group Policy editor is not available in Windows XP Home. This is noted in my XP Guide, and the best you can do is use registry tweaks or third party tweaking utilities like TweakUI or XSetup to attempt the same things.

Quote Originally Posted by PersianImmortal
    Group Policy editor is not available in Windows XP Home. This is noted in my XP Guide, and the best you can do is use registry tweaks or third party tweaking utilities like TweakUI or XSetup to attempt the same things.
    I was affaid of that. Anyway I'm just tring to get the recycle bin icon off desktop (unused clutter bugs me). Anybody know where to access this opption in (Home)? There must be a way to do it. (Right?)

i do beleive there is a group policy editor if you log in under THE administrator, the normal admin login account (with a name) is not the same account that i'm refering to

i don't know why i didn't think of that earlier

I don't know why some one would ever want to remove Recycle Bin from his desktop...but anyways...i think this should help.
    Go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}]
    Delete this key and you are done.
    Do export the key before you delete it...as you might change you idea in future.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Quote Originally Posted by asklepios
    I don't know why some one would ever want to remove Recycle Bin from his desktop...but anyways...i think this should help.
    Go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}]
    Delete this key and you are done.
    Do export the key before you delete it...as you might change you idea in future.
    Gee, now all I need to know is how to get to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE since Group Policy is the only way I know how to get there and that is not an option as I explained above.

regedit

Go to Start>Run and type "Regedit" (without quotes). Expand the folders indicated above until you find the folder with the long string of numbers.

Highlight the folder, go to File>Export in Regedit and make sure "Selected Branch" is chosen. Save it somewhere safe.

Then highlight folder and press DEL to delete it.

If you ever want to bring it back, find the .reg file you backed up before and double-click on it to undo the tweak.

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    regedit

Thanks everyone. I found it.:)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information