Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Suggestions for Winxp guide

I read all 17 pages all whatever it was of the "WinXP Tweaking: From Relax to Righteous". I found it had alot of information, unfortunately the only thing i thing i learnt from it was to change and icon's isze :)

On one of the pages you talk about how to fix Internet explorer if it was to fail, one of the suggestion says to remove ie from the add/remove programs list then add it again. This achieves nothing, removing it from the list only removes its start menu and desktop icons, the program itself is not actually removed so you can remove that from your tweak list. Unfortunately Microsoft tells us what we need to have installed, but if it breaks there is no easy way of fixing it without a format. A better thing to try and fix the problem i browse to "c:\windows\inf" and locate ie.inf, right click on it and press install then reboot, this adds all internet explorer's registry entries.

Tweaks you could add ( i do not know if you have a similiar guide that covers this )

1. Remove Windows Menu delay
    HKEY_CURRENT USER\Control Panel\Desktop. Create a new string called MenuShowDelay, or modify the existing one if present, by right clicking and selecting modify. enter a value from 0 to 999 (milliseconds).

2. Always Show hidden devices in device manager
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ ControlSet001 \ Control \ Session Manager \ Environment
    Create a string DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES
    Give it a value of 1

3. Faster Shutdown
    "HKCURRENTUSER\Control Panel\Desktop\" and set the key "HungAppTimeout" to 2000 and make "WaitToKillAppTimeout"
    2000 (20000 is default).

Also, "HKLOCALMACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\" and set the key "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" to 2000 as well.

Go to administrative tools> services, and disable the nvidia driver helper service. (if a lenghty wait is till present and using a nvidia card)

4. Prevent low disk space reminders
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer. Create or modify: NoLowDiskSpaceChecks REG_DWORD and set the value to 1. Logoff/Reboot.

5. Some Memory Tweaks
    HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Session Manager/Memory Management: set DisableExecutivePaging = 1, LargeSystemCache = 1, SecondLevelDataCache = 256 (or your L2 cache size, use decimal)

6. Turn off Windows File Protection
    Turn off Windows File Protection: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon
    Change the value of SFCDisable to REG_DWORD 'ffffff9d' . Restart Windows

7. Remove "Unread Mail" message at logon screen
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\UnreadMail
    For all users: Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\UnreadMail
    Create a DWORD key called MessageExpiryDays
    Give it a value of 0

8. Speed up Network Browsing (can)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Explorer -> -> Remote Computer -> Name Space...
    Remove the {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF} folder...

This skips checking for scheduled tasks on remote computers.

9. Turn off System Beep
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Sound]
    Value Name: Beep
    Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
    Value Data: Yes or No

This is handy especially if you disable windows sounds as everytime you touch the master volume control afterwards it makes a noise through the system speaker. Very Insidious.

10. Enable Administrator on the logon screen
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserLis t\Administrator"
    Add or change reg "dword" to value of 1.

That is enough for know. NiTeHaWk.

PS. in your guide you explain how to create "blank" icons with no text it is probably worth noting that they can only be created by using the numbers on the numpad not from the numbers on top of the keyboard.

Thanks for the feedback, although you should probably put it in the Windows forum :)

Almost all of the tweaks you list as worthy - the performance related ones - I actually cover in detail my first XP Guide (Reformat to Relax) - check it out. I refer to it several times in the 2nd guide, telling people to go back and do those performance tweaks before using the current guide.

I do note your corrections, particularly the one about renaming icons needing the use of the NUMPAD numbers, and I'll update my guide accordingly.

Thanks again! :)

Yeah no problem. I thought you had another guide somewhere, good work on the guides that aren't many good ones on the net.

Thread Information