Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How long you've been up???

Quote Originally Posted by LiOnHeArT
    :eek: cant even believe that!

my longest uptime would b 3days! that is my limit.
    i gotta take good care of my pc
    I have some hardware in my computer, that didnt come standard with my computer when i bought it...

(its an HP...that should explain enough)

I run a P3 1.1ghz 512ram GeForce 4 MX 420 60mb card on a 185 watt power supply...so my computer doesnt like being turned off an on, though i do do it occasionally.

Even though XP is great for stability, how do you guys keep your PCs running for so long? I mean every time you update drivers or download a Windows Update you need to reboot to install them properly, so are you guys not updating anything for 2 months in a row?
    You must understand, not everyone leaves thiers on constantly as i do.

But i have automatic update turned off on my computer, i manually check for updates and i read over what i need. (Why download an update if it applies to a program i dont have?)

As i said higher up in my post, i run a 185watt power supply, so my computer doesnt get very hot...so no worries there.

I'm also lazy...hehe :D

But on a sidenote, im a support technician (though my knowledge is limited....thats why im here...) so i know how to care for my computer...maintnence, etc.

Nope as when I do the original install it's done with the latest available drivers and patches then I only update as required/needed though once a month I'll hint windows update for any security issues. Basically though if it don't need fixin' why screw with it? ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    Basically though if it don't need fixin' why screw with it? ;)
    Now there is a voice of reason. If M$ really knew what My OS needed there would be little use for a thread like this, now would there.

LOL I'd be happy if they would just load the mouse driver on a default install.

Pretty much a full time occupation if you keep up with all the updates and such.
    Last I checked;
    Notepad is still working fine - Office app.....Check!
    IE still opens - online app.......Check!
    Outlook Express sends and recieves - communications app......Check!
    Paint still capable of manipulating .bmp's - creativity app.....Check!
    Solitaire still dealing off the top of the deck - time killing app......Check!
    Funny, I don't play solitaire nearly as much since I got DSL:laugh:

Seems like I got the basics covered, everything else I'm using just uses the OS as a base to run in.
    1 fully functional PC......Check!

on topic;
    The most I ever continuously ran this rig was a bit over 18 days, back when I thought UD had merit.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

I regularly update my graphics drivers at least once a month based on the latest (and as indicated by other users the best) beta. For example, in the last month and a half I've installed 41.09 from Nvidia then 42.70 beta (which is great).

Windows Updates for security etc. are coming out by the week from MS, so again I can't see how you'd avoid having to install those if you really want to keep your PC maintained :)

Installing new programs/games/apps usually requires a reboot - which is highly recommended too.

So how in 2 months do you guys avoid all of that?

Quote Originally Posted by PersianImmortal
    Windows Updates for security etc. are coming out by the week from MS
    LOL
    Perhaps you only look on a weekly basis:?:
    Seems more like on the half hour
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Havin' an excellent firewall and AV cures most of M$'s short comin's between visits to the update site plus why update drivers just for a few extra points or a couple of extra fps when ya already have a very fast and stable system? Quite frankly I'd rather be spendin' time usin' my PC's than fiddlin' with them (I get that part out of the way as I'm buildin' and tunin' them). :devil win

Heck I'm only a CPU away from buildin' another top rig so I'll have some more fun fiddlin' then. :D
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Quote Originally Posted by PersianImmortal
    Windows Updates for security etc. are coming out by the week from MS, so again I can't see how you'd avoid having to install those if you really want to keep your PC maintained :)
    If i cared about security on my machine, i would have a firewall installed....

and probably an antivirus installed too :laugh:

I wait for my PC to have issues.
    I dont beleive in patches especially by MS.
    Last time I looked it said something about getting a patch that fixed a problem w. Snow White and 7 Dwarfs DVD.
    Like i really will ever need that one! Most of them are just as usefull
    I try to do the update every 6mo or so. Forget about security, its MS were talking about.
    I really need a reason to switch to Linux anyway. :D

Yep 2 versions of Linux I'll be lookin' into next month. :D

Quote Originally Posted by kane2g
    I wait for my PC to have issues.
    I dont beleive in patches especially by MS.
    Last time I looked it said something about getting a patch that fixed a problem w. Snow White and 7 Dwarfs DVD.
    Like i really will ever need that one! Most of them are just as usefull
    I try to do the update every 6mo or so. Forget about security, its MS were talking about.
    I really need a reason to switch to Linux anyway. :D
    As far as I remember the update that you are talking about i.e. of the Snow White and Seven Dwarfs DVD was a recommended update and not a critical one. It might not be important for you but if someone is trying to view that DVD, he might be in for a surprise if it doesn't work.
    I would like to mention another recommended update out here that deals with a "game hangs at the time of intro" kinda thing...now think if you are playing that game and it hangs at exactly the same point everytime you are trying to get on with it. Won't it be frustrating...yes it would be...and its happening just cos you don't believe in patches from M$, but the best you will do is to curse M$. I am not saying that their softwares are without any faults or loop-holes, but just think about the support they are providing world-wide by their update site and the amount of money and time they spend in it.
    Another thing that I don't understand is that how can people compromise with the security of their PC's so easily. You gotta install atleast the critical updates. Recommended updates depend on your choice but imho critical updates are must for every one running any of windows versions.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information