Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running games with "Limited" users in Win XP Pro

I have Windows XP Professional. My PC is used by myself, my wife and my 4 year old son. I have an "Administrator" user, but I gave my wife and my son "Limited" users, to make sure they don't screw up the system. The problem is that I have a couple of games I bought for my son that only run with Administrator users. I've tried installing these games from his user, but "Limited" users can't install software. Is there any way I can make "Limited" users run these games?
    It's not important to know all the answers, as long as you know how to contact someone who does.

First of all, try this. Right-click on the game icon on your desktop and select Properties. Under the Shortcut tab, click the Advanced button and select the first option ('Run with different credentials...').

If that doesn't work we'll try something else. I'm a bit surprised that a game would need Administrator privileges to run.

Thanks for your reply. I followed your advice, and the games work this way, but you have to select a username from a list of users and type the password everytime, so it doesn't really solve the problem.

I also think this is strange for games. One of them is a "Bob The Builder" game and the other is "Thomas and Friends", both for 3-5 year-old kids.

I'm not sure, but I think I read somewhere that there was a command you had to type in Windows 2000 before installing applications so that all users could use them without priviledge problems. Is this still the case in Windows XP?
    It's not important to know all the answers, as long as you know how to contact someone who does.

If you are confortable with tweaking with your comp a wee bit, here is wat you can do.
    Firstly here's a detailed article from M$.
    You can set rule to get access to that program without any restrictions.

Or you can follow following steps that are from the same article but a bit focused to ur probs...
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. Type gpedit.msc, and then click OK.
    3. Expand the following items:
    Computer Configuration
    Windows Settings
    Security Settings
    Software Restriction Policies

If you don't have any Software Restriction Policies started ever before, then start a new policy from "Action" menu.
    Now expand the "Software Restriction Policy" and click on "Additional Rules".
    Now in the right hand pane, most probably you will see "Path" type additional rules. You have to add your own path type rule...
    Click on "New Path Rule" from "Action" menu. In the window that pops up next, browse to the location where the file of that game is located, select the file and click on ok. Now from the "Security Level" drop down menu, chose "Unrestricted" and click on "ok".
    This should allow you to run that file without any restrictions.
    Do check the M$ link cos it will give you a detailed view for future references...:cheers:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Thanks for your reply, I set it up as described, but it didn't work either.

Searching the help file, I read about "Power Users" that have more priviledges than normal users, but less than administrators. I think maybe this can solve the problem, but I can't find how to set this up in Windows XP Pro - I only have "Computer Administrators" and "Limited Users" types. How can I create "Power Users" on Windows XP Pro?

I don't understand why it didn't work...:confused:
    Did you restart your PC after creating that rule? If you didn't...try restarting your PC and then try again to use that file.
    Anyways...to add your user accounts to "Power Users" group, you can do the following thing.
    Go to Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management
    In the window that pops up, expand "Local Users and Groups", and then click on "Users". In the right panel you will see all the users present on your PC. Click on the user for which you want to change the properties. Chose "Properties" from "Action" menu.
    In the "Properties" window, click on "Member of" tab. You will see all the groups that user is part of in list provided. Click on Add button to add user to another group.
    In the next window, click on "Advanced" Button.
    Now click on "Find Now" in the window that pops up. You will see all the groups created by windows on your PC. Click on "Power Users" and click on "Ok".
    Click on "Ok" again and then click on "Apply". You are done and now that particular user is part of "Power Users" group.

Well you can try this but I would still suggest that before going through the process I mentioned above, you restart your PC once and then try playing that game again.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Yes, I restarted my PC after the changes, but it didn't work. Strange, because I also think it should work. I suspect maybe it doesn't work because I have some service disabled. Do you know what services should be started for this feature to run?

Anyway, I initially couldn't set up the users as Power User because the Server service was down. I started it, set the user to Power User, and the problem with the games was solved. Thanks for the Power User tip! :)

I have a similar problem with the Asus Probe utility. When I log in with a non-administrator user I get several error messages saying that Asus Probe failed to initialize. Doesn't really bother me because my wife and kid don't care about this software, but it would be nice to solve the problem, if you have any idea on how to solve it. By the way, I already tried setting the Asus Probe software directory to "unrestricted" using gpedit.msc and it didn't work either.

Just to ask a silly question here, is your drive formatted in NTFS?

Yes, its NTFS

yeah now i think we are getting there...
    you gotta start "Security Accounts Manager" service to save the changes made by "Group Policy Editor".
    I think that you must have disabled it. Enable it again and then apply that rule again...:cheers:
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information