Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 98se tweaking: help

I might be living in the past, but 98se is something that I have mastered and I am definitely not upgrading to xp thats even more crappier and security bugged thatn anything else home editon especialy,but maybee not pro edition although I've never had first hand expierence with any problems with xp and it does look nice,but http://grc.com says other wise.

Maybee anther opinion will do me good
    I shall stir the gates of hell once more and stare into the jaws of death and laugh, for I will know fear no more.

If you can take my word for it, I have to say XP is much better than 98SE. It is much, MUCH more stable, has far better memory management and problem isolation than 98 (i.e. a program crash doesn't bring down your whole system). You can tweak and customize so much more than 98SE, and there are a lot of neat security options the NTFS system provides which FAT32 (i.e. Win9X) could never do.

Basically WinXP performs at least as well as Win98SE. I've tweaked both extensively, and at one point I was running 98SE on the same hardware as XP and performance was identical. And that was in the early days of XP when I didn't know much about it and it hadn't been optimized yet!

I recommend WinXP over Win98SE. However if you can't afford the upgrade or simply don't want to, then that's understandable :)

Thank you all for your help:cheers: :thumb:
    I shall stir the gates of hell once more and stare into the jaws of death and laugh, for I will know fear no more.

(i.e. a program crash doesn't bring down your whole system).

Now that is true, must agree with you there.
    On the security possibilitys with NTFS thing to.

:cheers:

Wow I never knew that windows had that many drivers that It diden't know that location of. Talk about lost and found :smokin:

update: I've gone through all of the system devices and found all of the drivers that It was looking for. My windows should be happy now:devil:

SE setup properly as Mr.C described above and ya should have a system just as stable as M$'s NT based oses (ppl who can't achieve this are doin' something wrong durin' the setup stage as my SE PC's are just as stable as my XP ones) with the only limitation bein' memory management in which case a reboot once or maybe twice a week (dependin' on usage) will reclaim lost resources in that area. : peace2:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    SE setup properly as Mr.Cmy SE PC's are just as stable as my XP ones) with the only limitation bein' memory management in which case a reboot once or maybe twice a week (dependin' on usage) will reclaim lost resources in that area. : peace2:
    there's your point wiggo...YOUR SE PC's are stable, not every one else can tweak it that much or work on it to that extent. I used 98SE for one day when I started working on PC and it restarted 3 times on me, just cos some ****ty site hanged in my IE.
    I don't have any personal problems with 98SE but i agree with PI out here...XP is much more stable...and we are not talking about power users or experts in windows out here, we are talking about newbies.
    People who get crashes as often as they blink can have a bit of relief with XP.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

For starters if you want to use more than 512MB of RAM forget about Win98/ME. Known issues with 512MB and virtual memory due to the restrictions of the architecture.

That reason alone should be enough to get most people over to XP.

Plus XP looks pretty :laugh:

Actually some hardware setups will have probs with more than 256MB of memory in Win9x (I forget about ME every chance I can get). ;)

I found the 98SE to be better than ME, and no big reqirements for it to run. So if you are cheap, go for 98se but dont be suprised restarting it couple more times than you want in order to make it work stable.
    XPPro is good, very good. The only problem i got with it is that some hardware isnt supported by it, so if you got some funky config. it might not work.

But as much as i like XP, I will ditch it eventually and replace it with Linux. But thats the future, for now Im satisfied w. XP

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information