Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 98se tweaking: help

I basically look at it this way and that is if ya have one of the latest generation PC's then use XP but if ya got an older setup then use SE. As I always say "there are certain horses for certain courses" which is why I broke that above rule with my current server as I wanted a dumb os for that and not a smart one so that with a couple of other programs makes a very good firewall/internet server setup (M$ has too many entry points in their later oses for my likin'). ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    I basically look at it this way and that is if ya have one of the latest generation PC's then use XP but if ya got an older setup then use SE.
    I totally agree:thumb:

If you're worried about ram, run a ram utility (IE: memturbo, you can find it on cnet.) It'll flush out null dlls and whatnot when you need some extra ram. Tweaking 98 is like tweaking XP. You simply have to undo all of the ram hogging, slowdown settings. For a gaming platform, it's perfect, since it's minimal. Also, using different shells helps too. I used to use dos as the shell, worked nice.

If you want to get technical about a minimal NT based system, use Windows 2000. It basically is WinXP, just without the gaudy shell and holes, vulnerabilities, useless crap that you can't turn off or else it'll get mad and shut down. I'll go further into detail about tweaking 98 tomorrow, since I'm actually going to set up a 98 partition tonight.
    Work in progress..
    AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (@1.72ghz higher soon..)
    Gigabyte GA7VAXP (VIA KT400)
    256mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
    GeForce 4 MX420 (too broke to replace it with a real card)

I'm going to say a few things to express my feelings. Windows 98se is one of the most unstable operateing systems ever. It looked terrible and had trubble managing memory. Next ME is better, Not by much but it is more stable. Also mac os x was the predessecor to xp not any windows. XP is at the moment the best operating system around and anyone who has used it or uses will know there are hardly any bugs and its a sweet OS.:devil:
    What the fcuk happened to my sig?

It's not RAM tweaking I'm talking about. I know how to do that under Win98SE (Cacheman is useful for that, for example). I'm talking about this which is a built-in problem with Win9X-based OS.

I would also argue that WinXP is like Win2K except you can customize it much more (i.e. choose a skin) and it has native ATA100 support, a larger set of built-in drivers (e.g. I connected my Kodak DX3500 and XP took it from there...no driver install needed) and much more support from MS.

I use Win2K at work and WinXP at home and I can tell you XP is much nicer to use and at least as good as 2K, so if you have 2K stick to it, but if you're in the market for an OS upgrade, go for XP. That's my opinion BTW, you may have a different one :)

Yes Windows 2K is still basically an industrial business os and I treat it as such and only use it for those purposes if XP won't suit the person/business who's ordered the PC from me.
    <center>:cheers:</center>

As a minimal load operating system, 2k is champ. If you're not worried about resources, XP it is.
    Work in progress..
    AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (@1.72ghz higher soon..)
    Gigabyte GA7VAXP (VIA KT400)
    256mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
    GeForce 4 MX420 (too broke to replace it with a real card)

99% of the pros for a 9x based operating system are now irrelevant and have been for YEARS.

2k was/is marketed AGAINST home use. The server variants of Win2k are built just for that- servers. The Pro variant is the client OS because 9x cannot interact with Active Directory/Domains very well. (in most cases - at all)

What microsoft have realised is that people are getting smarter, and want more from their home network(s) and devices. This is especially true given the new technologies we have today. Wireless access & handheld devices, gigabit lan, satellite& other high-speed connections etc. 9x, being the unstable ***** it already is due for an upgrgade/replacement anyway. Its already on the same path and NT4. (discontinued in both production and support...ie- no more bug-fixes, no more anything).
    When you get to the point of installing a printer means the OS loose more than 15% of its resources on boot, something resembling common-sence must be telling you to abandon ship.

Because everyone was told to stay away from 2k unless you run a server/network, MS had to remarket their NT os to the public. This is where XP steps in. 2k was alreay stable, 2k was already 100% compatible with the technology and 2k was already the answer. However, it still had the old-school interface and design. So along comes some a fresh coat of paint and some spiffy dialogue box layouts and XP is born. Update the odd driver here and there, add support for some new devices and shove it down the consumers throat. While theyre at it, along came other nasties such as WPA, et al.

Its not rocket science, you can cry and whinge about 98 being stable and ultra fast until you turn blue in the face. The simple fact remains- it is not useable anymore. The moment the user wants to attach their digital camera, or hook up their new router/broadband connection is the very same moment their computer is in your hands for repair.

What YOUR decision (as a consumer) nowadays is- 2k or XP?
    The end result is personal preference. 2k has 3 (soon 4) service-packs out, doesnt have any WPA/privacy invading 'features' included and is more mature in both code-base and looks. Its the 'original and best' client machine os you can get. XP is simply chicken flavouring added to the 2k box.
    Do you like chicken?

Salt & Vinegar lovers need apply for a Linux distro. :)

I don't like salt 'n' vineger but I do have 2 versions of Linux and a number of PC's ready to put it on as soon as we've settled down from the move next week. :D

That is if I can work it out. :laugh:

I do like chicken btw (redheads as well). :lips:

<center> </center>

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    I don't like salt 'n' vineger but I do have 2 versions of Linux and a number of PC's ready to put it on as soon as we've settled down from the move next week. :D
    Thats why linux=salt n vinegar. Noone likes the taste of it at first (unless youre my sister, shed eats the stuff for brekfast lunch and tea if she could), but after a while you get used to it and before you know it- youll be walking along one day, and loe-and-behold; youll be shoving your hand in a bag of salt n vinegar chips. And loving it.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information