Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 98se tweaking: help

I luv sweet 'n' sour though. :lips:

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    I luv sweet 'n' sour though. :lips:

yeah wiggo...but we are talking abt salt n vinegar out here...
    i think this is wat happens when someone takes salt n vinegar...:puke:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

rugbydude what did you do with your 98se system?
    It is not a unstable os at all. Hardware problems..:?:

And concerning the memory issues 98se sometimes could have some probs with a greater amount than 256 mb on VIA chipset.

Intelchipset had no problems at all with more than 256 mb.
    That problem was all VIA related, don't really know what exaktly caused this though..

:cheers:

Now I would point a finger at VIA as my K6-3+ runs 394MB of memory with no probs yet I've had Intel mobo's here that have refused to boot with more than 256MB. No there's are bit more to this issue that no one has come across yet as there's a fellow I know who runs SE with a 1GB of memory and I'm amazed that he can play games all day without a prob. I asked him if he used the memory hack and just looked at me stupidly and after I explained it to him he said "WTF would I put a GB in this and then turn around and limit acess to it?". :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

So I'm guessing that this 512 mb mem error dosen't happen all the time.
    I shall stir the gates of hell once more and stare into the jaws of death and laugh, for I will know fear no more.

Never noticed any probs, and i've had a couple of boards..

Quote Originally Posted by 0R1()N
    So I'm guessing that this 512 mb mem error dosen't happen all the time.
    For one thing it only happens with 768MB or more, not 512MB. For another, no it's not a dead certainty. However if you run games at high settings then your virtual memory requirements will rise and unless you cap them below the "danger" limit you will likely experience this problem.

My point wasn't to suggest Win98SE is unuseable because of this problem. I just wanted to point out that there are inherent limitations to the Win9X architecture, and that's why MS switched to an NT-based one for WinXP.

Despite all the criticisms, and having used Win95, 98, 98SE, ME, 2K and XP, I think XP is the best overall and I have not seen any evidence that any other MS OS is faster than XP. People commonly think that just because XP is prettier than 2K, that it's also slower. Well of course this is not true. On the contrary you can remove a lot of unnecessary networking features in XP which are difficult to disable in 2K (given 2K was never really intended as a consumer OS).

Again, if you have 98SE and you like it, stick with it. But if you have new hardware, I recommend XP to bring out its full potential and ensure maximum compatiblity, stability and performance.

LOL
    Always Persian Immortal comes back to XP is pretty - well, you have to admire a man that knows what he likes.

Can't help but remembering the first time I saw XP. It was in one of the "Show Us Your Desktop" threads. (perhaps even the curent one, I'm not sure?)
    Someone had this really weird playskool looking desktop and I couldn't help but reply, "What is that, is Little Tykes making an OS now?." or something to that effect.

Thank goodness for customization, because in it's native state, that rascal hurt my eyes bad:laugh:

FYI; I've been running 384Mb of PC 133 on this 133A mobo for quite some time now with no problems. Maybe it's just a matter of having the right components that gets the cake:?:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Yup having the right components is definetily the key and thats my:2cents:

lol I like this sign:spam:
    I shall stir the gates of hell once more and stare into the jaws of death and laugh, for I will know fear no more.

Don't you people think this topic has got lot of attention?
    I mean...okk...if you are comfortable with one OS and are dealing quite well with it, simply stick with it. Personally if someone tells me to switch over to 98SE cos its faster or any other OS for that matter, I would just have one answer for him...:thumbs do
    I am confortable with this thing, can work out my problems and can tweak alot...why would I change to something else untill and unless I am getting a good deal, and believe me...no one can convince a satisfied user that another OS is better. People would say that Linux is far better option then windows...yeah right...go get yourself one.
    I don't want a CHANGE and I feel that this is the case with all the people out here...98SE users like 98SE while others swear by XP!!!
    No use arguing as no one is going to get a common ground...: peace2:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information