Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 98se tweaking: help

Well i surely agree with you that grc.com is an excellent site and it has lots of good tools but if by linking us to that site you are trying to prove that XP is the only OS with all the vulnerabilities, then...:thumbs do
    Steve is not a mug with OS's and you will agree with it that his server was brought down by a 13 year old kid? About getting "shields up" tests and all...well pal...get a nice firewall and you will be all stealth in that test.
    If you like to all these checks and all then visit symantec's security check too and see how many stealths do you get!
    There are nice tools on Steve's site which you can use and its nice bit of reading too...(spent 2 entire days on the site reading all the pages myself). An excellent site for security freaks like me...but that in no way says that XP is more vulnerable then any other Windows OS, except one thing...Raw sockets!
    Now there is one vaild point but I haven't seen even one attack specifically on XP machines because of that vulnerability...or did I miss a news article...:?:
    If you have ever come across something involving raw sockets I would love to read it...:D !
    :cheers:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Quote Originally Posted by asklepios
    Well i surely agree with you that grc.com is an excellent site and it has lots of good tools but if by linking us to that site you are trying to prove that XP is the only OS with all the vulnerabilities, then...:thumbs do
    Steve is not a mug with OS's and you will agree with it that his server was brought down by a 13 year old kid? About getting "shields up" tests and all...well pal...get a nice firewall and you will be all stealth in that test.
    If you like to all these checks and all then visit symantec's security check too and see how many stealths do you get!
    There are nice tools on Steve's site which you can use and its nice bit of reading too...(spent 2 entire days on the site reading all the pages myself). An excellent site for security freaks like me...but that in no way says that XP is more vulnerable then any other Windows OS, except one thing...Raw sockets!
    Now there is one vaild point but I haven't seen even one attack specifically on XP machines because of that vulnerability...or did I miss a news article...:?:
    If you have ever come across something involving raw sockets I would love to read it...:D !
    :cheers:
    grc.com

Some guy putting himself over all over his website. Seirously, either he's an internet god, or he has the biggest effing ego I've ever encountered.
    Work in progress..
    AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (@1.72ghz higher soon..)
    Gigabyte GA7VAXP (VIA KT400)
    256mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
    GeForce 4 MX420 (too broke to replace it with a real card)

I think there may be some misunderstanding here as to the raw sockets issue.:?:

Mr. Gibson's point was not that raw sockets make Windows XP vulnerable. It was to say that those raw sockets could be exploited to enhance DoS and other malicious attacks to make them more difficult to counter.

In effect, the raw sockets can concievably be used to make All OSs more vulnerable.

Or so the articles say, though I've never seen any reporting of this "feature" being used in that manner, yet.

umm, how is that 98 optimizing coming along, anyway:?:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C
    Or so the articles say, though I've never seen any reporting of this "feature" being used in that manner, yet.

umm, how is that 98 optimizing coming along, anyway:?:
    Thats my point too...all windows OS are vulnerable to an equal extent and believe me 0r1()N, XP is altleast better than 98, as far as security is concerned.
    About tweaking of 98, well I feel that everyone is busy cursing 98SE or XP...rather than doing something productive...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

About Mr. Steve Gibson being an internet god...well none of us know that, but I like his tools...all in assembly language. Quick to download (especially on my dial-up ) and does the work too...:thumb:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Ever seen 'em discussing Steve Gibson on /.:?:
    Man, they dog that boy hard:laugh:
    But he does have interesting and informative articles, and is as good a place as any for those developing an interest in securing their system.

For myself, security means preventing unwanted intrusions into my OS environment - simple as that. Firewalls do more for that than any other measure. Though certainly not the answer to everything it's the best first-step you could possibley take.

Hey, I just remembered this lame page for tweaking the 9x OS;
    http://www.iw.net/~sunshine/ostweak.html

It's just the most basic - but essential tweaks that you can do. Besides, I had a lot of fun doing the screenshots for it:laugh:

I don't know how much longer this page will actually be online, as it is the freespace that came with my dial-up account - but feel free to use it whiloe it lasts.

Note; the reccomendation for setting VM to 2.5X the amount of physical RAM is just a suggested starting point, and should be adjusted accordingly to your needs/system.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Originally posted by Mr. C Note; the reccomendation for setting VM to 2.5X the amount of physical RAM is just a suggested starting point, and should be adjusted accordingly to your needs/system.
    It's 1.5 x Physical RAM (2.5 x is far too much), and yes, the less RAM you have (i.e. under 512MB) the higher the virtual mem. The higher the resolution and texture quality you run your games, the higher your virtual mem should be with lower RAM amounts.

So basically for 512MB I recommend 768MB of Virtual Mem (Min/Max), for less I recommend more.

Ah yes, Mr. Gibson.

His site is nothing more than FUD. And he spreads it everwhere when people go visit it and gets his skewed opinions rammed down their throat.

While this site itself does tend to go everboard with how much he sucks, it is some interesting reading. Checkout gibsons previous jobs & qualifications. www.grcsucks.com

I had a jetway mobo, slot-1 celeron type, cant remember the model number (ive suppressed all memories of this mobo). They DO NOT like single-sided memory (either do I, but when your stuck with it- youre stuck with it) and they absolutley hate being pushed anywhere near its limits. (ie- dont even think about overclocking or enabling fast settings of any type)

worst. motherboards. ever.
    ...but soo cheap, people just cant resist cheap.

hmmmmmm...So your telling me that Gibson is a liar? and that he dosen't know jack about securtiy? how can you be sure you can trust grcsucks.com?
    I guess really the only thing that you can trust is first hand experience and what you see for your self:blah:
    I shall stir the gates of hell once more and stare into the jaws of death and laugh, for I will know fear no more.

Guys, I don't want to get involved in this debate about Gibson one way or the other, but it's probably best to stick to the topic (i.e. Win98 tweaking) in this thread, otherwise start a new thread on the other topic in this or another relevant forum.

Hope that doesn't sound too "dictatorial" it's just the thread is kinda wandering off topic...the original intent was to refer people to Win98 tips, tweaks etc.

Ok np....anyways about this tweak ui thing I went to microsoft web site dled it and it dosen't work...no install file.
    I shall stir the gates of hell once more and stare into the jaws of death and laugh, for I will know fear no more.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information