Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Windows 98se tweaking: help

It is likely to be available from other sources, have you tried a search on Google:?:

TweakUI is just a software interface to the registry anyway - I doubt there is much there that can't be found at regedit.com.
    Might as well do it yourself, it's more entertaining/informative that way anyhow.

Found
    It's now at;
    http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstati.../NTTweakUI.asp

you never know where they are going to move this stuff to:?:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

lol, thanks a bunch for looking for me,but thats where I found it in the first place and it woulden't work...no install file.....:grr:
    I shall stir the gates of hell once more and stare into the jaws of death and laugh, for I will know fear no more.

Have a look on ya 98 CD as it should be on it. ;)

The site said something about that.Why would it be on there? and if it is on there why do I have to download it...oh crap to0 confusing I need a drink :wow:
    I shall stir the gates of hell once more and stare into the jaws of death and laugh, for I will know fear no more.

Only 98 and 98SE, that I know of, was it bundled with the CD but others didn't (or I've missed something here). And while ya look for it you'll also find a lot of other stuff there that's not mentioned either.
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Quote Originally Posted by 0R1()N
    lol, thanks a bunch for looking for me,but thats where I found it in the first place and it woulden't work...no install file.....:grr:
    umm, did you read the instruction on that page:?:
    I thought not:D

OK, doubleclick the executable you downloaded and it will unzip.
    Unless you specified somewhere else, the default will be to the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP file - look in there or wherever you unzipped it to. Locate the file named " tweakui.inf ". Right click that file and choose "install" from the menu.

Bingo!

Ahh, if I had a nickel for every time I've typed those directions in the TTV chat:laugh:

Actually, TweakUI was included on the Windows 98 CD - but not on the Windows 98 SE:confused:

Go figure?

The one I linked to is updated beyond that version, though what the difference might be, I haven't a clue.
    I've never used TweakUI myself --- I just love poking around in the registry too much for that:devil:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Quote Originally Posted by 0R1()N
    hmmmmmm...So your telling me that Gibson is a liar? and that he dosen't know jack about securtiy? how can you be sure you can trust grcsucks.com?
    I guess really the only thing that you can trust is first hand experience and what you see for your self:blah:
    The last ill say on it, start a new thread or PM me if youve got questions, but whith this last bit there shouldnt be any more need for it.

Nobody has said he is a liar. (here anyway) Just misinformed. Read grcsucks.com and form your own opinion. Alot of the articles posted there make sence to me, and the tests conducted by Gibson are indeed flawed in many ways. (via tests and software ive used to see if gibson is correct in his articles) Ive dealt with alot of people who have visited grc and are deadset paranoid about computers and hacking etc that they believe gibson is god. Far from it actually. He is extremly good at making you believe what isnt neccesarily true. (look at his resume) The fact his site is just spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertaintity & Doubt) is what irks most people. Read the site, use your brain.

TweakUI was a bloody good util for my 9x days. Disabling active desktop and crap like that is a good start for low-memory environments.

Well, I'm not going to defend or dis the man, but I wll say this.
    His site is heavily linked to, and a lot of folks stumble in there to have a look.

If he can get people interested in the prospect of securing their system, then I say he has done us all a service.

I found my way in there quite some time ago, did the port scans etc. and began to get my poop in a group with the help of a few other sites.

Fact is, I'm going to have to give Mr. Gibson credit for getting the ball rolling.
    Not that he is necessarily the definitive word on all things, but it was the foundation I built upon.

Of course, maybe that's just me:)

Alright guys...enough of grc.com or steve gibson for that sense. No more discussions about a living person here...we only discuss dead out here...WINDOWS! You remember something now?
    Here is a thread dedicated to steve gibson . Please discuss whatever you want out there.
    Please resist from posting anything more about this blah blah...:blah:
    This is a request...;)
    : peace2: : peace: :cheers:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

hmmmm So why isi'nt tweak user interface installed with windows like everything else is? ie.....solitare......system tools....etc..:cry:

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information