Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Windows 98se tweaking: help

Because there is a lot of potential that the average user make changes using TweakUI and not have any idea how to undo them. It's an advanced tweaking tool.

Quote Originally Posted by 0R1()N
    hmmmm So why isi'nt tweak user interface installed with windows like everything else is? ie.....solitare......system tools....etc..:cry:
    Hello:laugh:

They couldn't even get the mouse driver in there, and you think they can install a tweaking tool:D

:rofl:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

The thing is that this can be a dangerous tool when left layin' around for just anyone (kids, idiots, etc..) to grab hold of which is why I've only ever installed it once and then removed it as there was a few ankle biters around here at that time so I just learned to do it myself. ;)

Yeah good one Mr. C. :rofl:
    The mouse driver plus several other critical system drivers which really gave Win9x it's bad stability ratin' (I'll exclude ME in this case though as it has even bigger probs : omg: ) and this prob could easily be fixed by M$'s update page. :mad:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I DLed TweakUI just to be sure that 0R1()N would actually be able to at the link I provided.
    Then deleted it!
    Be a cold day when a piece of software comes between me and playing in the registry.

OK, so I'm old fashioned - still more fun that way
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

It's only dangerous if windows scares you:D
    I shall stir the gates of hell once more and stare into the jaws of death and laugh, for I will know fear no more.

It's not so much "dangerous" as the fact that the changes it makes are not transparent.

If someone follows a guide on how to edit the registry for example, there's a record on how to undo the change - just reverse the tweak in the guide. If TweakUI makes a change however, and something goes wrong, you can only undo it by using System Restore or restoring a registry backup.

That's why in my guides I don't push TweakUI or X-Setup (both linked at the end of my first XP Guide) - simply because the average user will make a mess of their machine and if things go wrong will have no idea how to undo them.

Editing the registry directly is the best option for most tweaks, and where unavailable (like the tweak to remove or change the little shortcut arrow on the bottom left of icons) use TweakUI if absolutely necessary :)

i prefer to use tweakUI because it's quite a bit faster than messing in the registry. But I know how to get the same results without it so for me it's just simple and fast

In all the many times I've used TweakUI, I have NEVER had a problem with it
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

my comp is taking almost 2 min to boot up, but once it does its fine

heers how it goes I restart, post goes fine, windows enumarating screen shows up, 2 min later it loads windows.:cry: what is going on here?

please help or It'll be curtians for my hd:thumbs do :flames: :shoot3: :shoot2: :snip:
    I shall stir the gates of hell once more and stare into the jaws of death and laugh, for I will know fear no more.

What leads you to believe the HDD has anything to do with this?
    How many icons are in the system tray when Windows is loaded?
    How many things are listed in the "Close Program" dialouge if you Ctrl+Alt+Del immediately after Windows is up and going.

NIC's and other hardware can also slow boot times.

Just curious.

If networked then 98 will take longer to boot as it takes a bit to log into the network and search it for other PC's (you should see how long it takes with 2 nics fitted) and any XP PC's on the network will also do a bit of rootin' around in there as well. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread Information