Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Windows 98se tweaking: help

I don't have anything loading at start up, all protocols are disabled in networking,I don't have a network, and I haven't used tweakUI yet.

When I first format my hd windows takes only 13 secs form point of restart to boot

now its taking almost 2 min
    I shall stir the gates of hell once more and stare into the jaws of death and laugh, for I will know fear no more.

Have you added an IDE device as slave on the primary channel since then. A slower CD-ROM drive will slow the entire channel.

Nothing unneeded in the "Close Programs" dialouge? Or the system tray?
    Have you looked at the System Configuration Utility, under the startup tab to see if anything you don't need might be disabled from there.

Go to Device Manager, click the Performance tab. Click the Floppy Disk tab, and uncheck "Search for new floppy disk drives each time your computer starts".

If you install/uninstall programs frequently - I do, with a good number of freebies on the web.
    Occasionally you should delete the ShellIconCache file - it's at C:\Windows. Just delete it, and reboot - Windows will rebuild the file. Takes a couple extra seconds to do the rebuild, but after that it may shave off a few seconds from the startup.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Mr C's tips are all sound. In particular it sounds like something is not being detected properly at startup and your PC is stalling while continually trying to detect it.

Also see that in your BIOS the first boot up device is set as "HD" rather than floppy disk or CD rom drive. It takes a few seconds to search FDD's and other ODD's for a bootable media.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Thanks alot guys, but I checked,rechecked, the bios and then did it all over again and eveything was normal, but I know what is was.....I think I got something from the web, a virus or trojan.....my virus scanner did not see it I just saw an entery in msconfig named hjkhk which was very supcious to me because it looked like something a trojan would put in.
    anyways I coulden't fix it starting up slow so I put no 12 out of 12,000 possible formats on my hd. so I'm fine now I just won't go to those websites again.:devil:
    I shall stir the gates of hell once more and stare into the jaws of death and laugh, for I will know fear no more.

:flames: I'm getting my Microsoft certification soon from a local college.......aka msce so maybee they will reveal the ways of the force to me so I can maybee teach you guys some things about 98se:flames:

Beefy Guest

Ummm, as far as I know, Windows 98SE certifications are obsolete, aren't they? How can you get your MSCE in 98? That and the fact that an MSCE is comprised of at least 5 (?) exams in different areas.... You sure it was MCSE and not MCP?

Well whatever Msce will teach me, but I'm sure it's msce

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread Information