Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How does Windows know my name?

Okay, so then I never connected to the internet knowingly. Does it do that during installation? Without warning? That's a bit disconcerting. And still where did it get my name from? Possibly I entered legit info for Passport. Not sure. Can't remember. I don't usually enter my real info unless I really have to such as for online purchases and such. Would they get it that way? That would be disturbing.

Basically nothin' is secret on that os (read M$'s EULA that ya agree to at installation which gives M$ every right and you none basically). :(
    <center>:cheers:</center>

This is an incredible post... I installed XP on to a brand new 40gig drive 3 months ago and it started from scratch and asked for every scrap of information it needed. Nothing suspect and all correct. Apart from anything else I think that what you are suggesting is damn near impossible!

This is the reason that I use a dumb 98SE run server with a very tight firewall configuration as I can't trust M$ at all so Linux goes on the server as soon as I master it enough to know what I'm doin' with it. . : peace2:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid
    PLUS I just did another install and used my friend's key with no ISP info and it still has my name.
    Did you reformat and re-install out there...or just did a re-install?
    Be sure that XP never ever writes anything to BIOS. It simply isn't possible. There must be some other place that it got this info from. Adding passport to your XP machine doesn't give it any info that it start showing you in your properties window.
    Just to get this thought out of your mind that Windows can write something on BIOS, here's a chart.
    Windows Kernel and Drivers (marked with Blue line) work in tandem with Hardware Abstraction Layer (your BIOS) but they NEVER write anything on each other.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

I'm sorry if I sounded condescending, but I was responding to your post in a logical way. Basically there is NO WAY that WinXP can get information about you without you having entered it into your computer at some point.

No software writes anything permanently to your computer except for BIOS flashes. No software embeds any personal information like that.

Next up, MS is quite able to get information about you, store it and use it at their discretion. However, because they don't want to scare customers, they try and avoid showing you how much they can find out about you.

So the information displayed on your machine (i.e. your real name) can only be there because you entered it, as you likely suggest, in a passport transaction, or something similar.

More importantly, if it bothers you that much DON'T USE XP. Alternatively, go and BUY A COPY OF XP so you don't have to worry so much about whether MS knows you're pirating their software.

Amazing how people will throw thier name about, until they want to hide something LOL.

I've seen people think that P2P apps were spyware, because it was transmitting their name - DUH!

If you set up XP with your name as the user account, then the filepath will include your name. Other OSs do the same thing too.

People just don't think it through do they:?:
    that was almost off-topic, now wasn't it?
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Every time I reinstalled I had reformatted beforehand. Additionally, I am partitioning my HD into 2 partitions and each time I deleted the partitions and remade them.

It has my first name and I NEVER gave it to them.

Well this is quite disturbing. So then it must be a fact that Windows accesses the internet during installation without telling you.

I happen to have a purchased copy of XP. I'm disturbed about the invasion of privacy.

I did have XP on my last computer, but never gave MS my name. So possibly they collected it from somewhere off my last HD and have it stored? Just how invasive is MS? What do they collect about you? Don't they say it's not personally identifiable info, that it's only your hardware config? Apparently that isn't true.

Oh, and I just looked here on my laptop. Same thing. Has my first name yet I never gave it to them, AND I never did any passport stuff on here. This was purchased with pre-installed XP Home.

Tto be clear and exact, the place it is showing my name is here:
    right click on task bar and go to properties, have "Show Quick Launch" unchecked as well as "Group similar taskbar buttons", then in the picture above it shows two IE window "boxes". First one says "Welcome..." second one says "myfirstname's Webs..."

Heh. I just booted up off my old HD and it's there too. I just never noticed it cuz I aready had my preferences set.

Still don't get how they get it in ther onto a brand new HD when all I've done is install XP. Again, they must be connecting to the internet at that time without telling you. It says something like "checking for internet connection" but not that it's actually going to connect.

I don't know, but that is wrong. Ethically if not legally. Personal information I have on my computer is my business and should remain so. Maybe I'll go use Linux as well.

Oh, and np PI, I know you're trying to help, but as you can see I had tried all the basics already. Having those suggested just furthered my irritation. Sorry for the tone of my response.

now don't u think its strange?
    i don't understand how is this happening cos i have installed XP on like 20-25 machines till now, but never saw this thing!
    i just checked my properties and the way you explained, in mine one it says..."Nina's Webs..."
    now for sure my name isn't "Nina" and I think that I have mentioned my name on like tens of places while working on this install. I don't understand that how can any OS in this world change its pre-defined pictures or icons according to your name.
    Now the only logical thing that comes to my mind is that your name being one of all those common names, M$ used while creating these pictures.
    Just think how a girl with name "Nina" might freak out if she gets this copy of XP. I feel that you are experiencing something of this sort. Now come what may...install this copy of yours on any machine, I don't think that this picture will be changing!
    Format hundereds of times, re-install thousands of times, use millions of keys and use billions of fake name...that picture on that CD is there to stay and you won't be able to change it!
    Now either you can accept whats there on your copy or you can freak out...:cheers:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Your name wouldn't happen to be "System" would it:?:
    :devil:

:D

Nina is M$ese for No Interesting Name Available:eek:
    j/k
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information