Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How does Windows know my name?

I did a clean install of Win XP Pro on a brand new HD and I went to set up the look and clicked on properties of the toolbar. When I clicked on the "group similar items" I noticed that in the visual example it had my first name in there as "myname's Webs...". What I want to know it where did Windows get my name?

I didn't enter any personal info except for my ISP provider and pw when setting up my connection during installation. So the only way to have gotten this info is accessing my ISP account it seems. This would seem to be illegal to me.

But then I redid the whole thing. I deleted my partitions, reformatted and reinstalled, this time disconnecting my modem cable from my system. Again, it had my name. Where is it getting my name from? I't sfreaking me out. I really don't like having my name on my computer for when I'm on the internet.

I also have no other drives with any personal info connected.

Anyone know how it finds this out?

You pretty much answered your own question I'm sure...sounds to me that Windows got your information from your ISP when you set it up...I could be totally wrong here, and prob. am, but still, it makes sense to me.:cheers:

But then they are accessing my private account information. Surely this is ilegal. And that means they are connecting me to the internet during installation.

And that doesn't explain the second occurrence when I disconnecte the cable and didn't enter any info.

PLUS I just did another install and used my friend's key with no ISP info and it still has my name.

I'm thinking that WinXP writes to the bios or something? I don't really know that much about the bios, but it must be writing to something that can store the info permanently that's not a hard drive. I had XP on my last hard drive and did set up that Passport thing once. I suppose I entered my real info, I really don't remember. Other than that I didn't enter my name anywhere. Could it be that XP wrote that info somewhere other than on the HD? Does XP write to the bios?

Relax. They are not accessing any information other than what you've already provided.

Firstly XP does NOT write to the BIOS.
    Secondly, if you reinstalled XP over the top of the existing install then it will keep all your details. You need to REFORMAT then reinstall XP.

Even if you do all that, your ISP username, if it includes your full name as the ID, may be used by XP because it's easily accessible. Also, if you have a hotmail account and you've set up a Profile in Outlook Express then it will use the name in that profile. Further, if you registered XP under your real name there's another area it can use.

Basically somewhere along the way you've entered your full name into Windows and it's using it.

Reformat, reinstall, and check CAREFULLY what information you enter when setting up email accounts, etc.

Um...

Firstly, I'm not relaxed because WinXP IS using info I HAVE NOT previously provided.

Secondly, had you actually READ my oposts you would have seen that I used a BRAND NEW HD.

Thirdly, my ISP info that I provided did not include my name.

Fourthly, OBVIOUSLY I didn't register it. I could've figured that one out. Puh-lease.

Fifthly, I don't use Hotmail and would've figured that one out myself. I haven't gotten beyond the initial installation, as I clearly mentioned in my post.

Basically, of course I DIDN'T enter my full name into Windows. My god, do you underestimate everyone like this? This is THE MOST insulting (non)answer I have ever gotten anywhere. Do you really think I would've entered my name and then wondered where Windows got it?

As to your suggestion. LOL. If you had read my posts you would've seen that I've done that already. TWICE!

I'm not stupid. That's why I don't see how they got my name.

If you really want to help, go back to the top of the page. CAREFULLY reread my posts. Do a FRESH rethinking check carefully what preconceived opinions you have about the person posting, etc.

Hmmm.... I'm prolly not going to help this situation much but take a pill dude! If you flame all who attempt to help you then you're not likely to get the answers you seek. PI was trying to help you and so far as I can see made no attempt to belittle you or your intelligence. Obviously windows has/is getting your name from some source and he was making an attempt to narrow the problem down since telepathy between you and your computer is highly unlikely.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Have you used this copy of XP on a previous PC? :?:

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg
    Hmmm.... I'm prolly not going to help this situation much but take a pill dude! If you flame all who attempt to help you then you're not likely to get the answers you seek. PI was trying to help you and so far as I can see made no attempt to belittle you or your intelligence. Obviously windows has/is getting your name from some source and he was making an attempt to narrow the problem down since telepathy between you and your computer is highly unlikely.
    Not flaming at all. Simply responding in kind. He can't possibly have read and comrehended my posts to respond as he did. And his response was very condescending. Sorry to have disturbed you with my response.

Regarding telepathy, that is exactly my point. Only thing I can see is that an internet connection was made to my ISP and my account was accessed, as highly unlikely that seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    Have you used this copy of XP on a previous PC? :?:

Yes. I had it on the HD I just replaced. But I never registered it. And to my knowledge no internet connection was made, unless WinXP installation does it without any notification. And that's the only way I could see it getting that info.

Whether ya registered it or not XP will report back to M$ every chance it can get with whatever info it can find so M$ already has your particulars from the previous use and the product codes will tell them that. : peace2:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information