Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IRQ Help

Hey all.

I have been trying to fix my IRQ's up and I just cannot do it. I own an Athlon 1800XP+ , AOpen AK73(A)-V Motherboard with the Apollo KT133 chipset.

My video card, modem and sound are all using IRQ 3 which is also the ACPI for windows too and these would be about the 3 worst things to be sharing an IRQ :/

I looked in the Resources tab for all of the devices, and it is all greyed out, so I cannot reassigned IRQ's that way (I am assuming you can cuz someone said you might be able to). I dunno why they are even greyed out anyway.

It currently is:

IRQ 0 - System Timer
    IRQ 1 - Keyboard
    IRQ 3 - ACPI
    IRQ 3 - GeForce2 MX 400 64mb
    IRQ 3 - VIA Rev 5 or later Universal Host Controller x2
    IRQ 3 - Avance AC97 Audio
    IRQ 3 - Lucent Win Modem
    IRQ 6 - Floppy Disk Drive
    IRQ 8 - CMOS/Clock
    IRQ 12 - Mouse
    IRQ 13 - Numeric Data Processor
    IRQ 14 - Primary IDE
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE

I did the 'Reset' thing in the BIOS, and it didnt change much cept put the devices of concern to IRQ 3 instead of all of them on IRQ 11.

I really dont wanna havta move the components around else I void my warranty, but would if I really had to.

It hasnt caused any problems, but it would be nice to fix it up because I heard it can make things run better? Or is it just for the sakes of distributing things better to avoid conflicts?

Any comments are appreciated on how to fix this.

I don't know much about IRQ's but PI might help you when he comes online. Till then you can try out his new guide From Relax to Righteous .
    If it helps...cheers...:cheers:
    But if it doesn't, i wouldn't open my box myself and void the warranty. Rather call a tech-guy and get it fixed...: peace2:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

I'm going to take a huge leap here and assume you are referring to Windows XP?
    Or did you tell us and I missed it:confused:

Provided all your drivers are up to date and compatible, your PC should work that way. But, there is certainly potential for performance increase (framerates, etc.) if you could get that spread out a bit. No guarantee mind you - but, a strong possibility.

U'mm here's a couple of interesting links on the topic you might want to look at;
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1005114699
    http://www.musicxp.net/installing_tips.htm

Some folks say you need to reinstall, but that doesn't really seem to be the case at all.

I have no personal experience with this, but it seems XP's HAL is the cause of the issue.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Yeah I run WinXP Pro sorry I didnt mention it.

And yeah I was aware of that it shouldnt cause any problems sharing IRQ's under WinXP :)

It seems like alot of trouble to counter this sharing and it looks like disabling ACPI on newer mobo's can reduce performance, so I will leave it how it is I guess. Mainly because everything seems to run fine and I have done the 3 tweaking guides on the main page, and it does run actually very nicely.

I also have installed the latest drivers for my modem, DetonatorXP drivers for my video card, and the new Hyperion 4in1's.

Should be an easier way however, sucks that there isnt.

Just as a note, here's a quote for you...
    If it ain't broke, don't screw it...:cheers:
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

And tweaking comes into that statement exactly where:?:
    :confused:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Its not tweaking Mr. C. The guy wants to change his IRQ's when he is not having any problems.
    May be I am lazy but I would never open my box and change the position of my cards just cos they are shown on the same IRQ's. If they are working fine...then I would never want to fiddle around with them. If its possible with the help of BIOS and all...I would love to do it...but when it comes to the point of pulling out those pesky cards, I am a bit sceptical. That was my point out there...If its working fine then let the puter run.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Hmmm, that's onboard sound is it not?
    That leaves 2 of them being cards.
    In my humble opinion, the modem is best to be replaced by a hardware solution, those winmodems leaving ever so much to be desired.
    And the video ain't going nowhere (at least I hope that's an AGP version)

Don't get all riled up now asklepios, I must've forgotten the grin or laugh, or something.

But surely, this is not an issue at this time. Probably best to leave things as they are until you are certain of the procedure, or at least certain you can recover it if it should go south on you.

If it should become critical at some point, there are answers - till such time, a bit of study never hurt anyone.

To tell ya's the honest truth how do ya's setup XP to get ya IRQ's like that or am I missin' somethin' here as everytime I set it up I have separted ones (except for USB and nic)? I'm sorry but I must be missin' something here or I'm doin' something completely different. :confused:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C
    Don't get all riled up now asklepios, I must've forgotten the grin or laugh, or something.

But surely, this is not an issue at this time. Probably best to leave things as they are until you are certain of the procedure, or at least certain you can recover it if it should go south on you.

If it should become critical at some point, there are answers - till such time, a bit of study never hurt anyone.
    Come on Mr. C...did I ever get annoyed? I don't remember :?:
    Its just that I am a bit butter hearted when it comes to fiddling around with hardware, BIOS and things like that. I can do stuff as far as it goes in Windows, Applications or other softwares but when it comes to IRQ's, PCI cards...i feel dumb founded...:(
    and hey about reading and finding solutions...well thats why I love TT cos it teaches me new things and encourages me to read more and more.
    Thats where company of people like you, PI and Wiggo is best to have...I never used read M$ KB articles till I started coming to TT. I whole heartedly agree that we should know how to recover from problems when things go out of hnad, but I would have my best recovery options in my pocket and would fiddle around...but hardware...:(
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information