Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanby mode working weirdly, after updating BIOS!

My computers standby mode works very weirdly after I updated my BIOS a couple of days ago. Normally, if the standby mode is enabled, the computer goes to standby mode (after undefined period of time :D ) and when you move the mouse or press any key it returns to normal mode. My computer does go to standby mode, but when I move the mouse or use the keyboard, it wonīt return to normal mode. It returns to normal mode when I press the power button! :?: :?: :?: (last time it didnīt. the only thing what appeared, was a flashing white "cursor" on the upper left corner of my screen). I have enabled the "power on with mouse" and "power on with keyboard" (any key) settings in BIOS. Is there something I have missed??? :?: :( :(

Check your power settings in control panel. Sounds like your system is going straight into hibernate mode.

My box goes into standby after 1/2 hr(re-start w/mouse) then after an hour goes into hibernation and needs the power button to resume.

If you have a progress bar on the bottom of your screen when resuming, then your box is definately hibernating.

HTH

augie

<edit> BTW, no idea why this happened. Sorry.

Please mention which OS you are using everytime you post your problem.

I will presume that you have got WIN XP installed. Have you got all the latest updates for your install? If not here are two articles relating to your problem.

Are your Key-board and Mouse on USB port?
    If yes then here is a M$ article that might help you.

Here's a link that deals with your devices not powering up properly.

If you have got all the updates installed, try installing the latter update once again as the PCI.sys file might need to be patched gaian because of the BIOS flash.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

i bet you 10 cents it will work if you use PS2 keyboard and mouse.
    If it doesnt, go back to the previous BIOS flash, cuz this one seems to be giving some problems.

yeah kane2g and i think that he is using a USB keyboard and mouse thats why i linked a link to that M$ article regarding such problems.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Sorry, for not telling you the operating system...and yes, it is Win XP (Pro). My mouse and keyboard are USB models, but they are connected via ps/2 adapters. Should I rather connect them in to USB ports? :?:

No you don't need to connect them to USB ports, just try installing the update on the latter link. I feel that should help.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Canīt install that update. There comes an error report, which says something like this: "newer version installed, canīt install the update"! :( :(

It means that update is not a problem but some device is not powering up properly for sure.
    Try looking in event log whether it gives an error after it doesn't wake up by keyboard or mouse.
    BTW...are you trying to wake up your PC by just moving your mouse or using the key-board.
    Mine usually powers up by clicking the mouse or pressing "Enter" key on my key-board. It could be the dumbest question you might have ever heard but I couldn't help asking this basic thing. Try clicking your mouse or pressing "Enter" key on key-board rather then just moving the mouse or pressing any key on key board.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

:) I have tried to press all the keys of my keyboard and the mouse. :D :D :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information