Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 100% CPU usage

At first this only happend when i played UT2003, the fans blow like crazy. But now it also happens when i run certain programs , for example Direct Connect. Sometimes when i start DC the cpu goes to 100% and after a while it start to smell burnt in the room. I have a P4 1.7 ghz with 256 SDRAM and running XP, a small program like that shouldnt be a problem to run.
    Sometimes the ram also drops to around 2 and i must use a program to free it. I cant find any viruses. I have done some tweaks and its running a bit better. Anyone know what to do??

When this occurs, open up the Task Manager (hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del) and go to the second tab. Look through there to see what services are running the CPU so hard and make necessary adjustments from there. :D
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    When this occurs, open up the Task Manager (hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del) and go to the second tab. Look through there to see what services are running the CPU so hard and make necessary adjustments from there. :D

The funny thing is that no strange things are running and when the ram drops i cant do anything, but i had a strange thing on my computer a couple of weeks ago. Every time i started i had a program with 3 letters and i think it was a 1 , like xyz1.exe , gtr1.exe etc... running and the computer was really slow. i managed to get the programs to not start and the computer ran like it should again but something must have made them.

If you have something like that, sounds like you were on a fileswap site and downloaded a bug... that will really screw with your memory.... do what the other guy said... look at your processes... see which is taking up so much memory and which is eating your cpu.... you can also type msconfig in your run line (start - run - type what I told you - enter

then go to startup and see what is starting up when you boot... take some of that stuff out of there that you do not use... or send a list to this forum and I'll tell you what to get rid of... all that stuff does is slow down your PC....

let me know...

Bobby
    In Home:
    Exchange Server
    Blackberry server
    Web Server
    Game Server
    Dedicated T1 connection
    building pc
    P4 3.06
    2 gig DDR 400
    200 Gig hd using ATAserial
    Sony DVD writter
    Plexwrite 48X burner
    backup 120 gig ATA/133
    looking for the best graphics card
    Custom designed tower

Quote Originally Posted by Trem
    i managed to get the programs to not start and the computer ran like it should again but something must have made them.
    So let me see if I have this straight...

You had noticed some extra programs running that were sucking the life out of your resources and then you stopped them from running. Now you are having this type of problem again?

Welcome to the wonderful world of virii and trojans. Looks like you picked up a nasty friend. If you can identify the culprit, you may be able to get rid of it but the simplest thing would be to simply scrap the system and start fresh. At least this way you won't have any remnants of the bug left on your system.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

it almost sounds like Nimbda or Elks virus...
    In Home:
    Exchange Server
    Blackberry server
    Web Server
    Game Server
    Dedicated T1 connection
    building pc
    P4 3.06
    2 gig DDR 400
    200 Gig hd using ATAserial
    Sony DVD writter
    Plexwrite 48X burner
    backup 120 gig ATA/133
    looking for the best graphics card
    Custom designed tower

Have you looked in Administrative Tools\Event Viewer\Application and System Logs to see if there are any errors after this happens?
    Almost sounds like what's been happening with Zone Alarm users.

well if it would have been cos of zone alarm then it certainly would have shown it in Task Manager. whenever zone-alarm does so, it shows that it is sucking most of the RAM and CPU usage.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

hmm i have afeeling direct connect is loaded with spyware..

I have read all tweak guides on this page and the computer runs much better (no ram drop), but some small programs make the cpu go to 100%. Not always will the cpu usage drop when i close them so i have to restart. I have checked for trojans and viruses but i dön't find any. I have also removed all spyware so no things like that should cause it. Maybe Compaq have put in some cheap fan in my computer.

Thread Information