Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System Idle Process

Hello All. I just went to "Windows Task Meneger"->Processes and I noticed that "System Idle Process" is using up 99% of my CPU, well it goes down to 46% and up 97-98% on and on. How can I stop this?

Thanks for any help.

Looper.

a simple answer...you can't stop it!
    actually when you are talking about "system idle process" its not how much CPU it is using is important rather how much memory it is using is important. usually it never uses more 30-40K. if the memory usage is an exceptionally large figure than you have something to ponder about.
    in any case system idle process will lose its importance as soon as you start more processes. it distributes CPU usage and manages all the other processes and you don't need to bother abt this process.
    if you are facing any bottle neck other than this thing, you might discuss that, otherwise its normal to have SIP using 99% CPU. in anycase when a PC is idle the maximum CPU used is usually 2-4%, isn't it?
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Thanks for the reply asklepios. It uses 20k of memory, so I guess it's all good:) I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks again:thumb:

I have a problem. My system idle is taking up 60 to 70% and taking up 20k memory. Next highest in task manager is System and its taking up 30 to 40% and 36k memory. I can't watch DVDs, play WMP movies, or even browse the net. My computer has slowed to a crawl. I left the task manager open and just started browsing the net and it goes up to 100%. Same thing watching the movies or browsing the hd. I do have Norton and checked to make sure it wasn't running and I've restarted a few times. I'm not sure what to do. It just started doing this tonight.

did you scan your PC for virus? it looks like one of those cases where either a trojan or a virus is active.
    is your Norton updated regularly? if yes then when did you last did a scan?
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Quote Originally Posted by asklepios
    did you scan your PC for virus? it looks like one of those cases where either a trojan or a virus is active.
    is your Norton updated regularly? if yes then when did you last did a scan?
    I scanned last night before I posted here. Everything is up to date and it said no virus found.

Nortons only catches Viruses. You also need a Trojan scanner like The Cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by PersianImmortal
    Nortons only catches Viruses. You also need a Trojan scanner like The Cleaner.
    Thanks. I downloaded that and ran but it didn't find anything. But, since I've been running it I got an alert and when I clicked view it showed that it was LimeShop, which is spyware installed with LimeWire. I really have to quit using that.

Things seem to be a little better now, though. The processor is only at 29%. A couple times it went up to 100% though and I couldn't even open a browser window.

If you have a doubt of having a spyware then scan your PC withAdAware
    it will help you remove them pretty easily.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Another way to remove the System Idle Process in the task manager is installing SETI :p
    "Make FPS, not war"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information