Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual boot at start up help...

I used to have a 2nd HD that had XP. My main HD has ME. When it started to boot, a DOS screen came up asking to select ME or XP. Now i have gotten rid of the 2nd HD w/ XP and it still asks to select which OS i want at start up. How do i get rid fo this so it boots ME like normal? I went into msdos.sys to edit 'bootmulti' back to 0 but its already at 0. Please help.:thumb:

Why would you want ME instead of XP:confused: Anyway theres an option somewhere in windows i'll look for it but not sure if i can find it for ya.:cheers:
    What the fcuk happened to my sig?

Found it:D :D I think this should work ok go to Control panel - system - advanced - startup and recovery settings. Now there is an option to choose your default operating system i think changin that to ME should work:thumb:
    What the fcuk happened to my sig?

boot.ini ??

Quote Originally Posted by kane2g
    boot.ini ??
    thats the way to go :thumb:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

there no boot.ini file in ME.

ME is against my religion, so that was just a guess.
    Just trying to help :(

If he's got rid of XP and only using ME now, fire up a dos box (start->run->command) and type: fdisk /mbr ... then reboot and see if you are still asked :)

If you hwoever ditched ME and kept the XP drive, then boot.ini is the file you wanna edit... it's hidden, set system file... so before you edit it manually you have to (again in a dos box) type: attrib -s boot.ini - then - attrib -h boot.ini - then - attrib +a boot.ini - then edit it, remove the other entry for the other drive... then do those three attrib commands in reverse (attrib -a boot.ini - then - attrib +s boot.ini - then - attrib +h boot.ini) reboot and you'll be good to go.
    <font size=1>Pentium 4 2.53GHz @ 3.515GHz (FSB: 185; VCore: 1.725)</font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v7plus.htm">ThermalTake Volcano 7+</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.albatron.com.tw/product/PX845PEV_800.asp">Albatron PX845PEV-800</a></font>
    <font size=1>512MB Samsung DDR333 @ DDR370</font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.ati.com/products/pc/radeon9700pro/">Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?prodkey=ASC-29160">Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI Controller</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,321,00.html">Seagate ST373405LW 73GB U160 SCSI</a></font>
    <font size=1>Enermax EG465P-VE 450watt PSU</font>
    <font size=1>CPU Temp (100%): 39 C; HDD Temp (100%): 31 C (100%); Chipset Temp (100%): 32 C</font>

boot.ini isn't part of every windows OS? :confused:
    where is the information for booting is stored then?

i think it should be there and as "Suicide" said...its a hidden and a system file!
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

yeah, I forgot its hidden. I have explorer set to show all files and extensions. So i see all the files.
    Its in C:\boot.ini
    You have to have it.
    go to run>msconfig
    you will have a tab called boot.ini
    if you do you have boot.ini file!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information