Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: De-fu.... errr defrag, yeah thats it!

So after about 2mo. of not defraging i decided its time!!
    So i go to the old trusty Norton Speeddisk and it says something about other program using disk and asks to reboot. I reboot and nothing happens!
    So i go and use diskeeper, it goes to 12% and stops there!!!
    WTF????
    :grr:

ANY defrag utility should only be used while in Safe Mode. I always stick to the inbred one within Windows, but the reasons are the same in either case. You always have background applications running and these utilities will need to access the hard drives during their normal operation. This halts the defrag process. When you boot into Safe Mode and run the defrag utility, these background applications won't be running so the defrag can proceed as it was meant to.

Hope this clears things up a bit for you. :D
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Some good advice there:thumb:
    What the fcuk happened to my sig?

Uninstall norton speeddisk for a start.

Then fire up diskeeper and do a 'set & forget' scan. You wanna do everything to the drive, INCLUDING running chkdsk. Set the options for the drive and you will be prompted to restart. Do so.

chkdsk will kick in on next boot and make sure your drive is in tip-top condition before restarting again and thats when diskeeper will work its magic.

Once the boot-time defrag is conplete, you can then go on to defrag your files thru diskeepers interface. If it stops at 12%, just let it go. if you are getting cpu usage and your hdd light is flashing alot, then its still running. I usually get 'stuck' at 22%. Just let it go.

Safe Mode! Great Idea!!
    although I never had a problem with any other systems doing defrag in windows. But will give it a try! :thumb:
    The reason why I get impatient is because I'm chasing CheeZ in SETI, so I dont want any down time, or as little as possible.
    But I guess I will try doing it and see what happens.
    I also need to do it a lot more often!! I know

Thread Information