Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: WIN XP Pro vs. WIN 2000 Pro

Which is better? Windows XP professional or Windows 2000 Professional?
    I have 2000 and i want to know if i should upgrade it.

This question can give rise to a huge debate. Which is better?
    I would say that if you are confortable with what you have and you know your OS inside out to solve the problems you get, then be with 2000 but if you want to learn new things, go for XP! I think that if anyone says for sure that which OS is better then he is definitely sticking his neck out for some serious battering but i would give you a few thoughts, though it can be a bit biased towards WinXP :p

1) As expected WinXP has all the features you have in Win2000.
    2) Its most favoured point...enhanced looks!
    3) Ease of doing things...almost everything is done with help of wizards.
    4) System restore (If you screw your system with lots of experiments, this thing is for you.)
    5) Files and settings transfer wizard: Its much easier to transfer your settings from your old PC to new one.
    6) Windows movie maker: Easier way to do those home videos!
    7) Since you are already on an NT based OS, i can't say stability but it is definitely a feature of XP. IMHO it is the most stable Windows OS M$ released.
    8) Last but not the least..its the in thing :p

There must be lots of other plus. May be others will tell ya about them.

The one biggest minus that hurts XP is the WPA *Windows Product Activation*. If you are confortable with calling M$ everytime you make a mjor hardware change then XP is the way to go.
    thats my :2cents: worth.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

All the points Asklepios makes are valid. Just want to add that if you already have Win2000 Pro, then it may not be worth upgrading to WinXP (although there are clear benefits), because Windows Longhorn will be out in a little while, and that will be better than both OS's.

Short answer - if you have Win2K, the upgrade to XP isn't really worth the effort.

If you have Win98/SE/ME, I believe WinXP is a much better OS in most regards and worth the upgrade, particularly if you're running new hardware.

Game wise win 2k is better and doesn't flutter, I have both an wiped out xp pro an stuck with win 2k, 2k takes allittle longer to load [maybe 10 to 20 sec longer] but my opinion runs better.

I was in the same exact delimma as you. I had Win2K, and was wondering the same thing. So, I went ahead, bought XP and loaded it, and my computer was running much slower than it did with 2000 (I only have a P-III 500MHz though). This is because XP has a pretty beefed up user interface. You can downsize it to look like 2000, but then you downsize the fun:D . I switched to WinME, and finally back to Win2000. With XP, everything is done with wizards (It think this was mentioned in an earlier post). This makes XP appeal to people that don't feel comfortable using a computer. I really think the only thing lost in the upgrade to XP from 2000 is $200 and a little speed, but if you have a fast computer (and a fat wallet) it doesn't even matter. If I were you though, I'd wait for Longhorn. Your not missing out on that much by sticking with 2000. BTW, that WPA is a pain in the a*s! Almost everything you do to your system Microsoft needs to know about!

-Josh

yes, everyone will have different oppenion..

for me,, i think 2000 pro is good for server computers, and for busniness. and for xp is good for home use.\\\

i myself still use good old windows 98 , and linux for my server.
    My new gaming rig..

[size=1.28]asus a78nx-deluxe
    2x256mb pc 3200 ddr 400.(with cooling)
    athlon Xp 2500+ ( at 200x10=2000mhz .)
    seagate 80gb 8mb SATA
    Tt vlocano 7+ cpu cooling
    Clear case from HK.
    Leaktek fx5600 128mb
    enermax 350w PSU
    wireless internet setup[/size]

(game/ftp server) windows xp pro, duron 1.4ghz, 256mb pc 2100 2x40gb Hd, radeon 9200se chieftec dragon
    canada price watch :)

just enjoy whatever u have right now!! 2000 Pro such a cooool OS
    mess with the best, die like the rest
    :hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

Unless you've got an overwhelming need for one of XP's newer features(most of which can be done on 2K as well), I can't see spending the money to upgrade from Win2K to XP. There isn't enough of a difference to justify it.

XP's boot time is a little faster due to the way it load ths GUI. Win2K loads the GUI environment when all services and background processes have started. XP load it before everything is loaded. You get into the GUI a bit faster, but the actual OS boot time is still about the same. You can speed either OS's boot time by disabling unneeded services and startup apps.

There are a lot more differences between Win2K and XP than just the GUI.

For example, WinXP has:

- System Restore
    - Protected system files Ė you canít accidentally delete them
    - Native ATA/100 support (i.e. faster ATA/100)
    - Built-in Scanner/Digital Camera support - no need to install 3rd party drivers
    - Optimized defragging - XP actually defrags system files while idle for long periods to ensure fast access
    - A better Defragger in general
    - Better driver support and update support
    - Better control of services and processes

There are many more little things MS tweaked in XP which make it better than 2K for gamers and desktop users. However the bottom line is the difference is not significant enough to warrant an upgrade if you have 2K Pro already.

But letís not fall into the trap of thinking XP is only a pretty interface which is slower than 2K. They are at least comparable in speed, and when tweaked (removing unwanted services, cache tweaks etc.) XP is better while still retaining its trademark GUI. You donít have to strip it back to the Win2K look to make it run fast.

Thread Information