Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problemos . . .

Im not sure if im having a windows softare problem or if my dual channel DDR isnt quite firing on all cylinders.
    Seems that SOMETIMES when I try to go into my start menu it has a 3-6 seconds delay before anything shows up. Same goes for programs' menu inside start menu or any of those menus. The exact same thing happens EVERYTIME if I try to right click ANYTHING inside Internet explorer but not Netscae, there is a long delay before the right-click-options-menu appears when I right click on something inside a browser. On my previous Pentium 2 with same XP Prof. running on it, I never had these problems. Ive gone over almost all the tweak settings I could think of too. Right clickin on desktop Icons is fast as hell, so is Netscape browser but not Internet Explorer, I got cable modem too. Grrr
    Could this be cause by a bogus Windows install?

When compared to my friends AMD 1.2 Ghz with 266 FSB overclocked to a 1.7 Ghz, most games seem to load exactly the same for his AMD 1.2 Ghz as it does for my 2.53 P4 with 533 FSB. I have two 512 modules of 2100 Ram installed(kingston). Ive tried them in all the different slots thinking the channels were set funny or somthing, seemingly very little difference no matter where they are. Something is wrong. My video card is a ATI 8500(64MB DDR) compared to his Geforce 4 MMX(64MB DDR). According to all tests ect. Ive seen, my rig should be smoking his.
    Any idea's?
    Ive got lastest drivers installed for video card, ect.

My system:

OS- XP Proffesional (no fixes, heh)
    Pentium 4 2.53 Ghz ~533 FSB
    Iwill P4GB Workstation Motherboard
    2x Kingston Ram 512 MB DDR 2100
    Radeon 8500 64MB DDR
    40 Gig Maxtor 5400 RPM
    16x DVD Sony
    32x12x40 Lite-On CD-Rw
    400w Power supply

Only one thread is required so I removed the copy and paste of this one from the other forum.

looking at your computer specs,it's most likely your harddrive slowing you down.Keep in mind when setting up a computer,about balance.hope that helps.
    A friend of mine,a friend of ours.
    What do i call you?

it seems to be a hardware bottle neck more than a software related one.
    try www.pcpitstop.com and perform a test of your PC so that atleast the hardware related problems could be diagnosed (if any). if nothing is related to hardware then we can look towards other frontiers.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

This hard drive is the exact same hard drive I had running in my Pentium 2, an the Pentium 2 did some tasks faster than my P4. WTF is going on? Some programs start slow, an the right click problems inside internet explorer and the start menu response is slow too. My P4 does all those things slower than my P2 did.
    I ran a benchmark test an seems like the dual channel isnt working at all.

Sounds like you didn't install the Intel IAA driver that is on the mobo cd.

This is a combination of all the things mentioned above.

First you need to install the Intel Application Accelerator to optimize your IDE channels.

Next, you need to realise that a 5400rpm hard drive (likely with a small onboard cache) will struggle to provide information at the rate required for your system (i have a similar one, but use a 7200rpm 8MB cache Serial ATA drive).

Finally, you need to use my first WinXP Guide to go through and optimize your caches, virtual memory settings (for 1GB RAM I recommend only 100MB fixed min/max Virtual mem) and IDE channel settings. Cacheman in particular will be of very noticeable help to you.

Do the above and you'll notice a definite improvement, but your hard drive will always be noticeably slow, so upgrade that when you can.

Hey Cigg,try all the suggestions by Persian Immortal.Also check the intel website,lots of usefull info.Also check that your harddrive isn't running in "pio mode"[check in device manager].setting up a pentium 4 system require specific order of installing drivers and software.I usually,after reformatting and install winxp,I first install intel chipset drivers,then application accelerator,videocard drivers,all drivers after this in any order.last and most important go to windows update site and get your windows os updated! :thumb:
    A friend of mine,a friend of ours.
    What do i call you?

Next time this problem happens check which processes are running. To do this Right click on the taskbar and click device manager, then click the Processes Tab. Look at the "CPU Usage: ??%"
    and if it seems high while you are doing nothing check each individual processes CPU usage. If any of them are very high they may be the problem as they are bogging down resources.

If possible post a screenshot of the Processes Tab of the Device Manager the next time you get the error.

Hi 121 Iceman,

I think you mean "Task Manager"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information