Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Windows Media Player Keeps Shutting Down!

It seems that every time that I use Windows Media Player, it gives an error and shuts down when I try to play any kind of file wheather it be; asf, mpg, avi, mp3, ANYTHING!

Oh sure it'll load, and display the browser, and I can click on links, but when I click on a link to play something, same error and closes, then sends an error to Microsoft.

FYI, I also have DivX Player installed, but that shouldn't be a problem, and I've re-installed Windows media Player 9.0 several times just incase it's some kind of codec confliction problem. plus I have Service pack 1 for XP pro installed too.

Any ideas on how to fix this thing?
    Guchi

Say what U mean & mean what U say

media player sucks anyways :confused:

That sort of answer doesn't help and is rather negative. If ya can't give positive help then best not to reply at all.

Did you try to play the same files with another player?
    Whats the error that you get?
    Do you get any error code or something else?
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Windows Media Player Support Center;
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...d=fh;en-us;wmp

Cannot stream media in Windows Media Player for Windows XP;
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;Q303275

Troubleshooting playback problems;
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...udio_imagedrop

Offhand, I can't help but think this is an ICS or firewall configuration issue, which would be covered in the second link above.

Good luck

: peace2:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

If I try to open a DivX .avi file from my hard drive or open and asf file from the inthernet website, I get this error.

Windows Media Player has encountered a problem and
    needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

Please tell Microsoft about this problem.

(It creates an error report, and I have the option to send it or not)

I click to see the Error Report, but I don't see any specific error number to refer to.

Guchi

Have you upgraded any drivers lately?
    I had a very similar problem a few months ago, also with the Windows Media Player, but in my case it happened only with certain files.
    I have an Asus A7V333 and Windows XP Pro. The problem started after I downloaded a driver update for the C-media onboard sound from the Microsoft Windows update web page. I just uninstalled the updated driver, then reinstalled the driver from the motherboard's original CD, and everything worked fine again. Hope this helps.
    It's not important to know all the answers, as long as you know how to contact someone who does.

Hmm, never thought about that. I was also thinking that the Nimo codec pack could have something to do with it, but as to which part, I'm not sure.

I was thinking on reinstalling XP pro anyway to get rid of some junk completely, and start off fresh.

Thanks, but if anyone has has the exact same problem before, please let me know AND how you fixed it.

:devil:
    Guchi

Thread Information