Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Windows XP odd error, please help

Hello everyone,
    I just reinstalled Windows XP Professional edition and upgraded to Service Pack1, my system is running smoothly and perfectly. However some how windows has developed a little issue that is quite distressing. Whenever I do any operation that requires me to click the "Browse" button in order to select a file/application, it doesn't seem to parse the results.

It's hard for me to explain, I am sorry, let me give you an example;

When I go to Display properties->Desktop then click [Browse] to select a background image it will bring up the window as it always does, I browse to the desired image file, select it, then press [Open], it closes the Browse for image window and returns me to the Display properties as it should, however it does not display the file I just selected, as if I hadn't done anything at all.

This is not just the case with display properties, another example is when I simply try to adjust the "Open with->Choose Program" and select browse, it does not accept any of the "Browse" windows, so bassically after I browse for the selected file and click open it just closes that window and does nothing further, I am quite boggled on this issue.

I hope someone might have had a similar issue and will know right away what I might have done or what I need to do to fix this.

Thank you and please feel free to instant message me or anything in regards to this.

I'm not sure what that is, but try going to Start>Run and type "SFC /scannow" (without quotes). This will use the system file checker to make sure all your system files are as per your original Windows XP CD.

If that doesn't work, then try Control Panel>Folder Options>File Types and check the file associations, because somewhere it has lost the "open" association with the Browse command. I'm not sure exactly where to look, but have a "browse" through the list :)

Sorry I can't be more help, this sort of odd system behaviour is due to system file corruption, and more usually Registry corruption.

Hey thanks for replying so quickly,
    I tried what you said, ran the SFC application and it didn't find any altered files. I am unsure however what you mean by "it" when you said 'it has lost the open association'. Were you refering to the type of file I was opening?

This is so frustrating and strange, I have always been able to sort out any problems with windows and have been using every version since forever, this is the first really confusing problem I've encountered.

Thanks for the help Persian.

This sometimes happens to me and checking Task Manager shows that two or more instances of the same process or application are running and competing with each other. It often happens because my browser is set to a single click and out of force of habit I double click.

Roger

Hrm, well that's not the case here, I have yet to figure it out either..

A very straight to the point example is when I go to display properties and select an image in the 'browse' window and click open to apply it as my new desktop background it does nothing, doesn't acknowledge that I made a selection, just closes the browse window and thats that. I really am lost on what to do... I hate to reinstall windows over something seemingly so small..

Thanks for the help guys.

Thread Information