Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Win98SE or WinME??

I have a Pentium 3 500MHz, and I'm currently running windows millenium edition. I am having stability problems though, such as IE crashes. My computer also doubles as a Wingate internet server. Do you think running 98SE would help me out with stability? I've read that people keep their 98SE boxes running for weeks at a time with no problems, but I have trouble keeping mine running for a day with no problems! Also, I check, and there is no overheating with cpu, chipset, ram :D . Thanks for your help.

-Josh

stick with window 98...a bit less bugs as window ME. and i love to use window 98 OS for gaming..since is easy to install
    My new gaming rig..

[size=1.28]asus a78nx-deluxe
    2x256mb pc 3200 ddr 400.(with cooling)
    athlon Xp 2500+ ( at 200x10=2000mhz .)
    seagate 80gb 8mb SATA
    Tt vlocano 7+ cpu cooling
    Clear case from HK.
    Leaktek fx5600 128mb
    enermax 350w PSU
    wireless internet setup[/size]

(game/ftp server) windows xp pro, duron 1.4ghz, 256mb pc 2100 2x40gb Hd, radeon 9200se chieftec dragon
    canada price watch :)

I'd rather SE any day over MEss but have ya installed the missing .vxd files? This is the biggest cause of instability in Win9x oses.

Thanks for your help. I already tried installing the vxd's, right after reformatting. I'm going to switch to 98SE.

-Josh

recommend 98se.... it is the bast stage for gaming and other stuff
    mess with the best, die like the rest
    :hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

Actually, I might load Win2K. I don't really do much gaming (I know with 2K you can't do any:) ). I'm thinking about dual-booting 2K and 98SE. I'll use 2K all the time, but if I ever play games, I boot to 98. I know XP really combines the two, but I had XP on it before I loaded ME, and it ran like a hog. Once I get some $$ I'll upgrade to athlonxp and run XP again, but for now I think this will work. Thanks for all your help, Josh

I loaded Win2K, and it's running perfect. I haven't had one lockup yet (knock on wood), and it's running real fast, even after I loaded all my apps back on. I'll let it run tonight and see how it performs tomorrow. Now I don't have to hear anybody screaming "Josh, can you come fix the computer? None of my sites are loading" while I'm banging my head trying to get this thing to work again:D!

-Josh

I tried ME, but went back to 98, I like it better!

Thread Information