Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How to Update the Daylight Saving Time feature in WinXP Pro

At work I have several PC's using windows 95, 98 and Me. When I came in on Monday, April 7th, each PC displayed the update window for Daylight Saving Time. The window says your PC has automatically updated the time and to click OK if the time displayed is correct. This message automatically is displayed even though I was not connected to the internet. On my PC at home I am running WinXP Pro. My auto sync time feature is set for 1 week interval. The last time sync was done on 4/1, and the next time sync was set for 4/8. Why doesn't XP prompt with a time change window just as Win95 or Win98 or WinMe? I'm sorry as this is confusing. Must I click on the "update" button in the auto sync window when I'm connected to the internet?

senturi

I'm not sure why you don't get the pop-up. You don't need to be connected to the net for the OS to update the system time for Daylight Savings Time. When to adjust the time is set in the OS. When you say that the auto sync is set for xx date, which setting are you refering to? Do you have "Automatically adjust time and date for daylight savings time.." checked? Is your system set for the correct time zone?

I reviewed the date and time setting on my PC. It's set for Eastern Time Zone USA. My location is New Jersey, USA. I did not see any mention of the Daylight Saving Time function in any of the XP users manuals. There is mention of the auto time sync feature when connected to the internet.

Is there something I need to check in system settings in XP other than Date & Time settings?

thanks
    senturi

If you double-click the clock in your system tray you'll get the date and time properties window. On the Time Zone tab, the button to automatically update for daylight savings time. It should be checked since that's the default setting.

Quote Originally Posted by senturi
    Why doesn't XP prompt with a time change window just as Win95 or Win98 or WinMe?
    double click on the clock and under internet time see that you have got "Automatically synchronize with an internet server" checked.
    If it is checked then windows XP won't ask you anything...rather it will just connect with internet at the first chance it gets and will sync the clock.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

I believe I have found the problem as to why Windows XP never alerted my PC to the Daylight Saving Time update. I checked the Date & Time function under time zone. The box for the auto update of Daylight Saving Time was "not" checked. I promptly checked the box and saved the change. Apparently my Dell Dimension 8200 PC with XP Pro did not have this checked as the default setting.

senturi
    Thanks for all your help.

Thread Information