Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Virtual Memory

Everytime I run a game or anything that needs a lot of memory windows freaks out about virtual memory should I customly set it and if I should how high I should set it? Also I do take into consideration that I only have 128 ddr pc2100 ram

nada
    mess with the best, die like the rest
    :hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

the default of 768 would be more suitable for you if you only have 128 meg ram, XP is very memory hungry.

I'm assuming you mean Windows XP here, and yes 768MB set as both your minimum and maximum amount would be highly recommended.

To start with, delete your virtual mem (manually set it to 0). Then reboot and set it to 768MB min, 768 max. This assures your virtual mem is in one contiguous block, as defragger cannot defragment virtual memory (it shows up in green, meaning unmoveable).

heh...is windows crying again? well, my friend you can tell it to stop...because windows is only tring to mess up your game...lol well, not really, but I have seen games where I will disable virtual memory( because i have 512 mb o ram on my 98se system) and dont' need it really but if windows or a game gives me that error I just igonre it.

It will usualy work without it, but if it don't let windows specifiy its own stupid page filing bs. I like cache mans way of setting the virtual memory better.:flames: :cry: :flames:
    I shall stir the gates of hell once more and stare into the jaws of death and laugh, for I will know fear no more.

Cacheman doesn't set virtual memory. It handles the various disk and file caches, but not virtual memory. You need to enable virtual memory regardless of your actual RAM size.

However as I said, for 1GB and over, simply set a VM of 100MB min/max (as a token VM for the games that need VM present). For less than that, try to make sure your RAM + VM = ~ 1GB or a bit more. This will accommodate most recent games which have large amounts of info to put into RAM/VM, particularly if you have a high spec system with higher game settings (and hence more large textures etc. which need to be stored in memory).

Thread Information