Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Sound problems, or maybe more correctly CPU useage problems

Hey all,

A couple days ago I ran through the Tweaktown WinXP Tweak Guide and things worked great. I had wonderful WinXP boot times and better performance in games. Two days ago, however, my computer's CPU useage starting spiking like crazy. Whenever a window's program would open (even something as simple as IE) the CPU useage would jump to 100%. If running Winamp at the time, there would be a few seconds where the sound got really distorted.

I know this isn't normal, because my computer shouldn't need all cycles of it's 900 mHz processor to open an internet explorer window. I've tried going back through the tweak guide and spotting the possible areas that could have effected this, but it did work for a few days without this problem. I'm not sure what caused this problem to suddenly manifest.

My system specs:

PIII 800 OCed @ 901 mHz
    ASUS P3V133 Mobo
    256 MB PC133 RAM
    Asylum Geforce4 TI4200 128MB (OCed to 280/575)
    Turtle Beach Montego II
    MSI 52x24x52 Dragonwriter

The first thing I would do is to find out where all the power is going. When you begin getting the real slow response times, open up the Task Manager and see what process is sucking the life out of the system. Then you can begin your troubleshooting. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    The first thing I would do is to find out where all the power is going. When you begin getting the real slow response times, open up the Task Manager and see what process is sucking the life out of the system. Then you can begin your troubleshooting. :)
    I've done that, and I could really come to no conclusion. I'm not a total newb when it comes to computers, but in this particular case I can't come up with any reason. CPU useage seems to be ok, although IE is taking up 20% of the CPU at the moment (though that's no doubt in part due to the menagerie of smilies to the left). Other than that, it's pretty much 0s across the board.

I forgot to make note that the breakage in sound does occur also when nothing is really going on. Some crackling and pops, just minor distortion that is annoying to listen to.

Thread Information