Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Change Default Media Player

Hi, how do I change the default media player in Windows XP?

Is there a registry trick? Or the program must have the option to be the default MP. Because Windows have "Configure default access and programs" (something like that) but I can't change anything there :?:

I asking this becuase my keyboard opens the Windows MediaPlayer when I press the "media" button.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

If you want to change what your keyboard launches, there should be some software or even a control panel that will allow that.

First of all, pressing the Media key on your keyboard brings up WMP because that's what it's programmed to do. If you have any software with your keyboard you can reprogram the key to bring up any program you like.

Secondly, there is no such thing as "default media player". Each type of media (e.g. MP3, WAV, MPG etc.) is associated with a particular program. By default the majority of these are associated with Windows Media Player. However if you install other Media players like Realplayer, Winamp, Quicktime etc. they allow you to change the associations so that Quicktime is the default for MP3 for example (check the program options).

You can also set associations under Control Panel>Folder Options>File Types. Click on a file type (e.g. MP3) and choose the "Change" button under Opens With and choose another program.

well i don't know what "media" button is :?:
    may be it is something to do with that particular keyboard. if thats the case then as PI explained most of the functions can be changed or assigned to partcular applications by using any software that came with the keyboard.

Secondly, if you didn't assign a particular media player to handle the files at the time of install then you can always do that later. one way is to do it from file associations...other wise almost every player offers such things from preferences.

XP also uses WMP to open streaming audio and video files from internet. if you want to assign every function that WMP does to another media player then you can do it from
    Start --> Set program access and defaults.
    it can only be done in XP with SP1.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Thanks for you replies. :thumb:

I will check the software of the keyboard. I hope it has some way to configure it.:devil:

I didn't know that the button was programmed I tought that reads somewhere in the registry looking for the particular program. Just like you can change the default internet browser or the email client.

Well after seeking in the net I found that only the email and browser can be changed:(

And like PersianInmmortal wrote:
    --------------------------------------------
    Secondly, there is no such thing as "default media player". Each type of media (e.g. MP3, WAV, MPG etc.) is associated with a particular program. By default the majority of these are associated with Windows Media Player.
    ---------------------------------------------

The browser and email don't use extensions, they have a designed task.

Thanks again for your replies that help me to see how things really are.:thumb:
    :cheers:

(Ups I change PI's nick)

Thread Information